If you own a Quantum® Narrow Wheelchair, such as the Edge 3 Stretto™, you understand that it requires routine maintenance. Regular service checks ensure that your electric wheelchair continues to deliver consistent and high-quality performance. There are certain things that power wheelchair users can do at home, while other checks need to be completed by your authorized Quantum provider. Read on for great information on cleaning your wheelchair, daily and weekly maintenance checklists and what to do if your wheelchair gets wet.
When you are done using your wheelchair for the day, it’s important to charge the batteries on your electric wheelchair for at least 8 to 14 hours. Read more on properly charging your narrow wheelchair batteries.
Using a soft, dry cloth, wipe down the seat and frame of your wheelchair. Avoid using chemicals or abrasive cleaners to clean your electric wheelchair. Do not use any lubricants on your wheelchair, as they can cause damage to the wheelchair’s electronics.
If your power wheelchair was exposed to moisture, take steps to dry your wheelchair immediately. Learn more about what to do when your narrow power wheelchair gets wet.
Daily Checks on Your Power Wheelchair
- Turn off your controller and check the joystick to make sure it is not bent or damaged
- Check the controller harness for fraying, cuts or exposed wires
- Examine your tires for flat spots
- Inspect your wheelchair’s seating system, armrests and front foot riggings for loose hardware
Weekly Checks on Your Narrow Wheelchair
- Ensure all parts of the controller are fastened securely. Do not overtighten any screws
- Check your tires to make sure they are properly inflated. Pneumatic tires have a psi/bar/kPa air pressure rating indicated on the tire.
- Check the brakes on your wheelchair while driving on a level surface.
Check out our recommendations for monthly and yearly checks for your electric wheelchair.
If you discover any issues with your power wheelchair, please contact your authorized Quantum provider. If you don’t have a provider, we can help! Visit our Dealer Locator on our website today.
2 thoughts on “How to Clean Your Narrow Wheelchair”