The summer sun is slowly making its way to the United States, which means ice cream, BBQs, and most importantly, adventures in my Edge® 3 Power Chair with iLevel®! Last summer was not the best for anyone, but I fully intend to make up for it in 2021. My 31st birthday is in July, so I thought I would write an early birthday to-do-list a la Stephanie (32 for good measure). So, here is a list of some of the activities I plan to do this summer with my motorized wheelchair.
Outdoor Activities with My Power Wheelchair
- More accessible gardening – I picked it up during quarantine and it’s even easier at iLevel.
- BBQs – the grill is my home. My home is the grill. Being elevated above the cooking surface makes flipping burgers easier.
- Picking fruits and vegetables off higher trees
- Hiking – nature is calling once more and with SRS (Smooth Ride Suspension) on my Edge 3 motorized wheelchair, there is no ride more scenic or breathtaking.
- Tanning – reclining my electric wheelchair with plenty of sunscreen is the recipe for a great summer tan
- Flying a kite – I have never flown a kite, but being closer to the sky is a good thing, right?
- Picnics – I am no longer too short for outdoor picnics with 12 inches of elevation.
- Washing the car – With the help of iLevel technology and a super long hose, I can wash everything from the roof to the wheels!
- Going to the park- there are many trees that have not been measured against iLevel and I intend to find them all
Traveling with My Motorized Wheelchair
- Hotel bed transfer – no matter the height of a hotel bed on the road, iLevel technology will help me to accommodate most sleeping arrangements and assuage some of the fears associated with travelling while disabled.
- Boardwalk strolls – while I am not much of a beach person, enjoying the weather in my power chair is a welcome change from staying indoors.
- Visiting breweries – There is nothing quite like ordering a bottle at the raised counter and watching the sunset on a summer night.
- Vacation selfies – who needs angling photos for perspective, when iLevel makes you taller than most things?
- Trying my luck at casinos- game tables are high; my chances of winning are not.
- Taking in a comedy show – because we all need a laugh right now and my head towers above a sea of people.
- Being tall enough for the rides at Disney World, but not riding them due to exhaustion
Using iLevel in the Home
- Changing lightbulbs – there is a joke in there, but my height must be used to help the vertically challenged.
- Brushing my teeth- I can finally see my entire body in the mirror with iLevel, which leads to better oral hygiene.
- Revitalize my summer wardrobe – Aloha shirts and sunglasses on the top shelf? No problem. iLevel technology lets me reach whatever I need.
- Helping with house chores – whether it is cleaning floors or dusting bookshelves, dirt beware: I Have the power of iLevel on my power chair.
Interacting with Family and Friends at iLevel
- Uncle duties – my nephew loves the “elevator ride” when I elevate my power wheelchair with iLevel.
- Hugs that start at the head, not at the waist
- Visiting local relatives – the ability to look people in the eye that I have not seen in a while is a privilege.
- Frisbee with friends – staying at iLevel ensures that my throws are more aerodynamic and above the ground
Other Ways that My Power Wheelchair Helps Me
- Reinvigorating my completely unnecessary Starbucks habit and enjoying some coffee. iLevel lets me enjoy sitting at the high-top tables.
- Groceries – As evidenced by my many photos, stocking up for summer get-togethers with items on high shelves could not be easier.
- Eating at food trucks – outdoor dining is a breeze thanks to its ability to adjust to countertops.
- Being closer to the fireworks on the Fourth of July.
- Helping out at my parents’ restaurant- Taking orders at iLevel is good for business
- Shopping for alcoholic beverages – Top shelf alcohol is no match for iLevel.
- Watching a movie – as theaters begin to open, I look forward to being the guy down in front. Reclining my electric wheelchair is great for long films
I plan to make my 31st year the best one yet because iLevel means new opportunities.
About Tim Shin: Tim lives in River Vale, NJ and uses an Edge® 3 Power Wheelchair to maintain his independence and mobility. He enjoys food, fashion, music and television. Click here to learn more about Tim.
For more great blogs from our brand ambassadors and Q Roll Models, visit lifeatilevel.com today!
Return to Life At iLevel page